Old Glasgow Pubs

History of Old Glasgow Pubs

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Black Bull in Maryhill

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MHill

PostSubject: Black Bull in Maryhill   Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:25 am

I am writing about the previous location of the Black Bull Inn in Maryhill. It is mentioned on p.27 in the Centenary Record of the Church of the Immaculate Conception 1851-1951 (compiled by Rev. Thomas J Healy). This book says that before the first church was built, Mass was celebrated in a hall in the back of Peters’ Court “which is at the back of the Black Bull Inn”. A 1951 photograph of this location, said to be near Fingal Lane, is shown in the book; one of the elderly buildings shown might be the inn. Looking at an old Ordnance Survey map for 1857-1864, “Peters’ Court” is labelled behind the row of buildings on the other side of Main St (ie Maryhill Rd) across from the first basin in the Maryhill Locks. An “Inn” is one of these buildings. These buildings have now been replaced by post-war flats, but I would judge that the Black Bull Inn, if it is the “Inn” on the map, would have been approximately across the road from the White House Pub, at about 1640 Maryhill Road.

Does anyone have any more information?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Black Bull in Maryhill   Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:35 am

Hi,
I have the address of the White House as 1641 Maryhill Road and the Black Bull at number 1682 on the opposite side of the street.

Hope this helps you out. Interesting info about the Church.

Cheers
John Gorevan
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://oldglasgowpubs.forumotion.co.uk

Black Bull in Maryhill
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1